Sunday, December 31, 2006

Unforgiven in the diaspora (Vol. IV)

I stay away from mirrors when i cant recognise my face
I've had to erase, rewind, replace and redisign who i am in this place
Son of man or freedom fighter
they should have my portrait on a cigarette lighter
so the world will know how i burn

I will grow in turn, I must
i will show i learned to trust
then misinterprete the signals before me
i've made mistakes and i'm not sorry

I'm The Unforgiven

and to think some men call this living!
Sure, fill me up with ill-intending women
and never-ending booze
you snooze, you lose
but i choose to keep those inebriated hands away from my shirt
for beyond this fine embroidered cotton
is a world of endless hurt
that has no bottom

So why, then, do i stay in this city?
I wonder what happens to all this pity i feel for myself
look at me: still young and in good health
not drowning in wealth but i survive
how come i'm still wishing for that ticket, destination: Alive?
I mean, here's my passport, here's my name
here's my baggage and here's my shame
intials T.U., The Unforgiven
now let me into your land of the living

You know, Life, you can be a pain in the ass
you claim to be a teacher but you ignore your class
and you put me through shit, and you seem to enjoy it
i'll be honest, this limbo stage is getting real annoying
you think i'll give in? think i'll raise the white flag?
I can be a badass, too, the baddest you ever had
see i might be fatigued, scarred, misguided and still doing wrong
but take a good look, you sumamabitch, i'm still going strong.

5 comments:

Quillonpaper said...

Boy, u hurt! I hope 2007'll be a better one for you.

A wonderful New Year to you!

ish said...

boo brussels. yeah kampala. or delhi. either one. u choose.

Iwaya said...

I have been listening endlessly to a country song that has the line of being unforgiven and now you just went and used it?!? and beautifuklly too! now Kim +11 will have to change all over again!

Minty said...

Sometimes i want to cut up some of your poems into two or three separate pieces.
E.g, your last verse really takes a sharp bend.

Uganda Tourism Press Journalists said...

there's song in your life. that should make it all the better.