Wednesday, February 09, 2011

In Ten Days


If in the next ten days
this city should crumble apart
then that gives me just ten days
to clean out the mess in my heart
and admit:
I can't see passed You
and I don't wanna turn away

The mass dissent rumbles quiet
and on the news
as in church pews
they preach, The Jungle will RIOT
so You have to know:
I can't see passed You
and I don't wanna turn away

There'll never be a convenient time for this
the world's falling to pieces
and I'm blind to it
cos I can't see passed You
can't turn and run
can't hide
where would I go
that could feel so alive?

Where could they drag me
on hands and knees
torture me for ten days
ignore my pleas
spit at me
break my bones
make me swear
to leave You alone?

They'd get nothing

For ten days they could starve me
and I would hardly
register pangs of hunger
cos I'd look at You
and the spell I'd come under
would drown out the war in the streets
and all there'd be
is the stubborn soles of Your feet
the curiosity of Your navel
and the weightlessness of Your laugh
lifting me safely above the chaos

And on that tenth day
the day of my death
as they, in frustration, inevitably
relent and put an end to me
I'll turn to You
with my steadfast thought
explaining the battle
I religiously fought
the reason I could not turn away
the thing that I've been trying to say:

"You are the light I saw
when God created woman."

No comments: