Friday, October 27, 2006

The Lorry Driver's wife

I stay

and let him worship at my temple
see sometimes love is not that simple
we take our chances and make mistakes
we sleep, we wake, we mend, we break
we take and take and hurt and stab
he's the only thing i ever had
that was mine alone and no one else's
so I'm staying because I'm just that selfish
and he's so helpless, he's just a child
you wake up one day no longer young or wild
or tough or happy or lucky or sad
he's mine, the only thing i ever had.

I stay

Dont roll your eyes at me that way
we play and lose or win or grow
i'd rather be in love than know
than know for sure he's breaking my heart
you learn your lines and play your part
or break the rules or make your own
he's much too young to be alone
he's just a child, he'll grow one day
i still love him and so I stay
and ignore the truth and all its harms
to neslte in the illusion of his arms
you dance your slows, you sing along
i love that bastard, he did me wrong.

I stay

cos there's no love left in the world
so if i leave, i'm no one's girl
you fight, you yell, you scream, you bite
but there's no hell as a lonely night
in a haunted house of empty rooms
I shut my mouth to evade that doom
he's just a child, i've seen him cry
he'll change someday, at least he'll try
you type, you write, you scribble on a pad
he's my life, the only one i ever had
and there are only two truths passed "i'm sorry"
you kill the engine or drive that lorry.

7 comments:

eddiie said...

That love surelly kills.You are in full swing love...

Hope jelousy doesnt come up when you see something promising elsewhere.

As i said the last time, you should be a love doctor...i will be strolling down for love cure from yah...

Nice stuff

Minty said...

Yeehaa! she finally speaks. Nice. Really nice. I love this discourse.

PS: I see the last line.

Anonymous said...

Am diggin this... Next, the Lorry Driver's Mistress!

Iwaya said...

isn't she a bit too soft?

ish said...

sounds like 3 different women actually, is The Lorry Driver polygamous?

cuz each stanza reads like a new woman... one is like "see sometimes love is not that simple"

and then two goes "i'd rather be in love than know/than know for sure he's breaking my heart"

then along comes three who says "cos there's no love left in the world/so if i leave, i'm no one's girl"

or maybe it's the poignant potrait of one polymorphus (or confused) little lady?

R. Wagaba said...

@Eddiiee: after this i kinda feel all loved out so November will see a change of pace.
@Minty: the last line was specifially written for you cos i could see the barrage of questions to follow. Dodged that bullet.
@Caramel: Is that you, Ms L'Amour? Someones getting all hollywood on us!
@Iwaya: She's very too soft, maybe. I watched a daytime talk show and this lady was defending her choice to stay with her abusive husband and i couldnt understand it so i wrote this. still dont understand it.
@Goddess...good to have you back. lets never do that again. seriously. Umm, i guess the thing is, such decisions are never straightforward. you're just never quite sure of the best way forward. you just close your eyes and jump, hoping to miss the jagged rocks below. Thanks for defining poly...plymo...that word for us. Couldnt find it in the urban dictionary.

ish said...

thats cuz the urban dictionary is not a dictionary Rich!!

not that it aint useful, i mean, u constantly quoting it and pulling it out for support made me subscribe to their daily newsletter. and boy, i tell ya, my vocab is vast as the sky. almost.