Saturday, October 07, 2006

Troubled in the Diaspora (Vol. I)

Greetings, Ancestors
welcome back to my haunted house;
I thought you had abandoned me for hope.
5+3= America.
There's no tea in my government sugar;
how can i host you, Ancestors,
when the bills I've paid
I've "paid" with borrowed credit on loan?
What was the rhythm of our traditional beat?
I forgot how to shuffle my feet
when I started wearing shoes that were made
for someone with a car.
Am I still your son, Oh Ancestors,
even though I take the metro to night school?
Chicken soup with grilled mushrooms.
Oh Ancestors, I am lost without you...
but I am the one who left,
I'm the one who walked out
and left to build my own

Dreams

that's all they were.

Then Captain Planet kicked Superman's ass
and i began to lose my mind.

8 comments:

ish said...

u ever read 'a squatter's tale'?? this poem kinda sums the book up!

makes me think obi okwonko meets eddie murphy in 'coming to america' meets... well, meets you actually...

Minty said...

Why you go and slap in that last line? I was enjoying the confessions to the ancestors and beginning to understand the 'lost' son of the soil in snow, when you throw in Captain Planet and Superman. The persona's not sorry, is he?

gishungwa said...

well put.

R. Wagaba said...

@Sleeves: Eddie Murphy? You just associate anything with the phrase "something, something...America" to Eddie Murphy, dont you? Never read that tale but if i just summed it up, guess i wont have to!
@Minty: The last line is the gist of it as further volumes will reveal. i was gonna say "Captain Planet kicked SPIDERMAN's ass" but even a crazy person knows that could never happen. Never.
@ Gingsh...Shingsh...Gwing....@the person who posted below Minty: I concur.

Quillonpaper said...

Did you change your template? Loving it here. Deep. Will link you up to mine if you don't mind!

Cheri said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cheri said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cheri said...

Superman,kicked by Captain Planet? huh? Have u jumped outta yo mind? Star taffa!
Only Jack Bauer can kick Superman's ass! And Samurai Jack!
Jacks are stars!